DEPARTMENT OF SURGERY, FACULTY OF MEDICINE
Guidelines for Case Write-Up (Essay),
1. Essays are to be single-spaced with a 12-point font and written in colloquial, professional English. Students are urged to aim for clarity, brevity and accuracy of information and language. Each manuscript page should be numbered.
2. Essays are limited to no more than 3000 words (main text only, does not include abstract, references, tables, legends, and figures).
3. Essays should be arranged according to the following sequence:
· Front page
· Introduction including patient’s biodata
a) Chief complaint
b) History of chief complaint
c) Review of other systems
d) Past medical history
e) Drug History
f) Social History
g) Family history
· Physical examination
c) Local, where relevant – eg breast, thyroid
a) Provisional Diagnosis
b) Differential Diagnosis
· Clinical investigations: blood tests, imaging and tissue diagnosis if relevant
· Final diagnosis with reasons
4. DISCUSSION SHOULD BE ON THE PATIENT IN RELATION TO PRESENTATION, DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT. IT SHOULD NOT BE A MONOGRAPH ON THE CONDITION.
5. Marks allocation for the essays is as follows:
iii) Final diagnosis with adequate reasons
6. Essays should be submitted to the office, Department of Surgery, Level 3, Jalan Hospital Campus on the specified date. (Kindly refer to student’s handout) for further details.