Day 1 (Monday)
1. Sudden natural death - IHD
2. MVA - comminuted skull fracture
3. Suicide - CO poisoning (serious mmg PINK)
4. Murder - laceration wound a.k.a. "luka sayat" at abdomen + stab wound causing massive haemothorax
Day 2 (Tuesday)
1. Drowning - the one who drove himself into Lombong Tasik Prima. He was a known case of psychiatric illness; the body had started to decompose by the time it reached us. I assisted this case and unconsciously backed off a bit because of the strong ‘scent’, but was told, “Apa duk jauh tu, datang la dekat2 ni haa, amik bau dulu”.. Hmm.. ok fine.. lepas assist the autopsy, terus tak boleh makan daging.
2. Sudden natural death - IHD
3. MVA - massive cardiac tamponade
4. Suicide - CO poisoning
Day 3 (Wednesday)
We had no incoming cases, but because there is no rest in Forensic Serdang, so we had puzzles to solve that afternoon. 2 sets of mixed up bones of 2 bodies found months ago had to be reassembled into their respective normal anatomical position, and the question was – Determine the cause of death.
2. Murder jugak
Hm, I’m not supposed to be telling you the answer. Both were murdered but how? You need to find out yourselves nanti. Kang soalan bocor tak seronoklah, sbb another 16 are going to be posted in Hospital SERDANG later
Day 4 (Thursday)
- Hospital CME from Anaesthesiology department
- Lecture on Gunshot injury by Prof Karim + special police guests to demonstrate on weapons – wah, berat bangat rupanya senapang tu.. pistol yg kecik pun berat jugak.. tapi berat2 pun, sempat lagi bergaya..
- Finishing report, filling up logbooks, preparation for our CME presentation on Friday
Day 5 (Friday)
- CME day – 2 presentations by HOs, 2 by students in the morning
- Afternoon - MAKAN!! Best sgt, macam-macam ada. Nasi Bukhari, fruits, custard cocktail, kuih-muih, Chocolate indulgence cake… alhamdulillah, kenyang perut..
- After Jumaat, we had 1 more case to assist, an MVA. Hmm, merasalah potong kepala org..(kalau siapa yang tak pakai spec tu, bawaklah spec tipu punya. sebab habuk skull tu akan berterbangan di udara dan sangat mudah utk memasuki mata anda. Dia guna cutter mcm nak potong POP tu)
- After the autopsy at about 4.20pm, we proceeded with a lecture entitled “Suicide” by Prof Karim.
- He wanted to continue with 2 other CME presentations by another 2 groups of students who had not presented earlier, but since the cases were similar by the ones presented by the H.Os, so Prof cakap tak payah. Hm, kalau tak, tak tahu la balik pukul berapa.
Each case had its own storyline and history. Histories which I’m not sure if I should reveal. Looking at death notes left before suicidal attempts, the cries of their grief-stricken family members, the ways or methods they had chosen to end their own life, the faces of shocked relatives during pengecaman mayat… All seemed to be like a drama in front of us. But we were quickly reminded, it was real. We dealt with police and investigative officers for the 1st time. Rupanya diorang juga manusia biasa, cuma nampak hebat and segak sket sebab pakai uniform smart.. When I asked Prof if we would have the chance to go to the court, he said, “Senang je nak masuk mahkamah ni. Buat nakal-nakal sket, dapatlah masuk mahkamah!” Aduh, nakal-nakal ni usah disebut, biarlah ia berakhir di posting Orthopaedics..
Alhamdulillah, by Allah’s will, we had the chance to encounter a variety of manners and causes of death. From natural causes, to suicide, murder, and accidents.
To be continued… sory mcm essay 3000 words pulak.. skit je lagi eh..